CPS Energy is the nation’s largest municipally owned energy utility providing both natural gas and electric service. Acquired by the City of San Antonio in 1942, we serve 707,000 electric customers and 322,000 natural gas customers in and around the seventh-largest city in the nation. Our 1,566-square-mile service area includes Bexar County and portions of Atascosa, Bandera, Comal, Guadalupe, Medina, Wilson and Kendall Counties.
We’re proud of the fact that our customers’ combined energy bills rank among the lowest of the nation’s 20 largest cities. Thanks to a diverse mix of fuels, our electricity is not only affordable, it’s reliable. Today, nuclear energy satisfies 34.6 percent of Greater San Antonio’s electrical generation needs, followed by coal at 34.4 percent. Natural gas and oil makes up 15 percent of that fuel generation mix while renewable energy, including wind, solar and landfill-generated methane gas, comprises the remaining 16 percent.
We are not just a municipal utility. We believe we are an integral part of this community. Our revenues support vital public services in Greater San Antonio. The environment remains a high priority despite our community’s growing demand for power. And our employees often go beyond the call of duty to support local charities, to weatherize homes for low-income families and the elderly, and to show our customers how to get the most out of their energy. We are proud of who we are.